Di’s Sautéed Mussels
All of these ingredients can be found at the local Del Mar Farmers Market (see parenthesis).
- 2 pounds mussels (Dry Dock Fish)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (Freskos)
- 1/2 shallot minced (Shaner Farms)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (Schaner Farms)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (Schaner Farms)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested (Bernard Ranches)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 20 cherry tomatoes (Blue Heron Farms, Schaner Farms)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped parsley (Schaner Farms, Blue Heron Farms)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Rinse the mussels under cold running water while scrubbing with vegetable brush. Discard any with broken shells.
- Heat oil in 4 – 6 quart stock pot or wok.
- Sauté the shallot, garlic and thyme to create base flavor.
- Add the mussels and give them a good toss.
- Add wine, lemon juice, zest, chicken broth and red pepper flakes; cover the pot and steam over medium-high for 5 minutes until mussels open.
- Toss in the tomatoes, parsley and butter.
- Recover the pot, and steam for another minute to soften.
- Serve with plenty of garlic bread (French Bakery Le Rendez-Vous) to sop up the broth.
Makes: 2 servings Total Time: 1 hour