Auntie Coconut’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 5 cups of oatmeal
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cardamom spice
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 cups of butter (4 sticks)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 24 ounces of chocolate chips (I use Nestles)
- 1 8-ounce dark chocolate bar, grated or cut up in bite-size pieces
- Take out butter from fridge to let soften.
- Mix oatmeal in blender until mostly finely ground. Empty oatmeal grounds into a bowl, then add the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until well blended. Set aside.
- To a different bowl, add the butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, chocolate chips, and chocolate bar pieces. Stir well until blended.
- Merge both bowls into one and mix. Be sure to mix thoroughly as the flour tends to go to the bottom of the bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour. Overnight is fine. This makes all the difference!
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place 2-inches apart on cookie sheet or (for best results) on a round pizza stone. If using a stone, don’t put oil on it.
- Preheat oven and bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes. Check them. Depending on oven, they usually are light golden brown at 10 to 13 minutes. I put mine on the lowest rung in the oven.
- Let cool for at least five minutes before taking off the sheet or stone.
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes to prep; 45 minutes to bake
Makes: 96 cookies
About the Chef
Name of Chef: Carol Ann Ashley Birtwell
Family: Son Dakoda (27)
Community: I live in Solana Beach. I teach Ashley’s Musikids at the Encinitas Community Center.
Hobbies & Interests: Dancing, singing, family time at the ocean, loving animals, cooking, being outdoors. Love family, friends, wind chimes, flowers, plants,
Favorite Local Activity: Dancing the night away at Club M at the Grand Del Mar Hotel and catching up with my son at our whole foods restaurant.
About the Recipe: I created this recipe through the years as I was never totally happy with any other recipes. I don’t eat many sweets but have always had a soft spot for cookies. Everybody loves cookies! Well, I tend to make it for my family, friends, music classes, and people I don’t even know, as the people I do know beg me to make it for others. I chose it because it is the most asked-for recipe that I make! Plus, it is fun to make and get all the compliments. If you have little ones and you are going on an airplane, it really helps to have some of these cookies to give out to the people around you ahead of time, especially if your little one is teething. Everyone will love you!
About the Chef: I have been an educator of children for over 18 years. I’ve written two children’s books that are on Amazon: Freddie and Bibelle ~ An Extraordinary Encounter, and my second book is Freddie and Bibelle ~ The Big Feather Drum.
Get Published! Submit a recipe at www.delsolmagazine.com