Market Cuisine West’s Slow Cooker Cuban-Style Shredded Beef
- Whole flank steak
- 2 ½ cups your favorite tomato sauce
- 2 ½ cups beef stock
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 ounces dried cured chorizo, diced
- 10-15 garlic-stuffed green olive
- 3-4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Not-So-Traditional Pico de Gallo:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup red radish, diced
- ½ cup seedless cucumber, diced
- ½ cup savoy cabbage, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Juice from 1 or 2 limes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the pico de gallo, combine all ingredients, mix, and let stand for at least 4 hours.
- For the shredded beef, combine all ingredients except meat in a bowl and mix well.
- Add half of the mixture to a crock pot. Place meat on top and cover meat with remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, then reduce to low for another 2 hours.
- Pull meat apart into strings with 2 forks and serve with pico de gallo. It can also be served over rice and beans or even made into tacos.
About the Chef
Chef: Stephen GianDonato II
Profession: Owner and Head Chef at Market Cuisine West
About the Chef: Stephen owned and operated Market Cuisine Catering in Wayne, PA from 2004 to 2016. He and his wife recently relocated to San Diego and opened Market Cuisine West to continue doing what he loves: bringing fine dining fare to you and your loved ones. Market Cuisine West offers corporate catering, private catering, private dinner parties for both small or large crowds, and outdoor events. Each event is customized to the individual. Stephen meets with each client with a private in-person consultation to design the menu, enjoy sample menu tastings, and discuss any rental needs for your event. Clients work directly with Stephen from start to finish.